Tuesday, May 16, 2017

My Mom's In Jail....

I'm assuming, or hoping that will be the strangest and saddest blog title I will ever have to write.

As I have mentioned before my Mom is an alcoholic.  When I was younger she was a very normal Mom.  Actually she was much better than normal, she was extremely caring and supportive and always put her children and family first.  When I was about 16 she started drinking more and more.  When I was 21 she first went to rehab.  The last 10 years have been very volatile.  She has been in and out of rehabs, detox centers, homeless shelters and has had and lost countless jobs.

About three weeks ago I had about 10 girlfriends over and heard a knock at my front door.  Everyone that I was expecting had already arrived so I was curious to see who it was.  I opened the door and was shocked to see my Mom on my door step.  I haven't had much of a relationship with her over the past 5 years.  I could tell that she was intoxicated so I told her she could stay but had to go in the spare bedroom and go to bed.   The next morning she I told her that she couldn't stay at my house.  I told her that I let her stay because I didn't want her on the road drunk the night before. After a lot of begging and tears from her she left.  I felt horrible but I have been through this so many times that I know exactly how the situation will end.  She was sober when she left our house at 9am.  By 11am she had been arrested for a DUI.

She has been there for 3 weeks now.  She has burned all her bridges and alcohol has ruined all over her relationships and no one wants to be responsible for bailing her out.  In a way I am grateful that she is in jail.  I know that must sound heartless but now she can't drink and hurt anyone else.  I think a few weeks of being sober will be good for her.  Drinking that heavily for so long really affects your mind.  She was becoming delusional.  Unfortunately I don't think a few weeks of being sober in jail will fix her but maybe it will give her the courage to change.  I pray for her everyday and hope the story ends well.

No comments:

Post a Comment